1. D&D - Yes, yes, it's on everyone's list. There's a reason. I got the books from my father's business partner at the time, I ran my first game when I was 6, I brought the books to summer day camp. It's the system that planted the seed.
2. Toon - I used to run late-night (like, 2am) Toon one-shots at a gaming convention I attended in high school. That was a heck of a lot of fun, and where I really learned "when in doubt, roll and shout!"
3. Torg - Where I learned that "mechanics" and "setting" were not inextricably linked. The Torg setting remains one of my favorites. The mechanics, on the other hand, were pretty horrible.
4. Shadowrun - I played in a BBS-based Shadowrun game when I was in high school. It was brilliant. I played a vehicle rigger with a blood-red motorcycle named Bonaparte. I still miss him.
5. Paranoia - Where I learned to stop fearing death. (Fear is not happiness. Happiness is mandatory.) Also, a Sunday 8am one-shot game of Paranoia right after two consecutive 2am games of Toon is freakin' hilarious.
6. GURPS - I am way too good at min-maxing point-buy characters, which flourishes in GURPS. Plus, given the right sourcebooks and some GM creativity, you can do a great multi-setting-crossover game.
7. Amber Diceless - Some of my favorite memories of RPGs, and one of my favorite characters of all time, were in this game. Zelazny's world is so ripe.
8. Rifts - Well, really any Palladium system. The first system where I learned that there was such a thing as "too rules-heavy." Neat setting, but far too finicky.
9. D&D4e - Yes, I'm putting D&D on this list twice, because 4e is so different from any other edition. I was one of the few people I know who actually liked 4e, partially due to it emphasis on class balance and party construction over character construction.
10. Cypher System - The only system I haven't actually played. But the mechanics are brilliantly innovative, and the concept of "You get what you incentivize" resonates. I've wanted to get into a game of this since I backed Numenera.
#rpg #dandd #Toon #torg #shadowrun #paranoia #GURPS #amber #rifts #dnd #dnd4e #numenera #cypher-system #10RPGs
Watching their skins being peeled
Grated and steamed with no mercy
How do you think that feels
Scans pretty well to
It's 9 o'clock on a Saturday
Regular crowd shuffles in
There's an old man sitting next to me
Making love to his tonic and gin
#filk #mental-jukebox #scansion #arrogant-worms #billy-joel #shoot-me-now
"You know that 'line' you're not supposed to cross with the President?"
"I'm coming up on it, sir?"
"No, no. Look behind you."
Like... this one?
Filtered word: nsfw
But seeing the friends we drove down to see was worth it.
And I thought they canceled "My So-Called Life..."