Skip to main content



"We know absolutely that the charger itself failed, and that it arced between the 240 volt input and the five volt output. So that's definitive," said Lynelle Collins of NSW Fair Trading. "We've got photos, we've got proof that's been dismantled, so we know that the charger failed.”

Investigations ascertained that the charger in question was not compliant with Australian standards, and Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe issued a warning about the inherent dangers of using non-approved products.

"These devices pose a serious risk of electrocution or fire,” he said at the time, and the Department of Fair Trading cautioned against using any devices while they're plugged in and charging. ... show more